Student Employment & Work-Study Programs

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based financial aid program that allows you to work part-time to help pay for college. A Federal Work-Study job is different from other jobs for the following two reasons: (1) the hours are flexible to ensure that you have enough time to study, and (2) when you apply for financial aid the following year, the money you earned through this program isn’t used to determine your financial need.  

To be considered for Federal Work-Study, be sure to indicate that you’re interested in this program on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). Funds for this program are limited, so it is important to complete your FAFSA as soon as possible. If you are eligible, SCC will list the amount you can earn on your financial aid offer letter.


Open Positions

Position/DepartmentSupervisorLocationHours per Week
Career & Technical DivisionKristy StephensonMain Campus10
Financial AidLisa MeyerMain Campus10


Apply to be a Student Worker


How much will I work?

Students can work up to 15 hours per week during the regular academic year and in some situations can work more hours during scheduled breaks. The number of hours worked per week will depend on each students’ availability and the hiring department’s need. Students cannot work during scheduled class time.


How much will I earn?

FWS student workers are currently paid $13.00 per hour.

Once you find a job, you’ll receive a paycheck for the hours you work. If you don’t work enough hours, you may not earn all of the funds you have been awarded. The money you earn through the Federal Work-Study program is paid directly to you. It is up to you to use this money wisely.  

In addition to the financial benefits, there are other reasons to consider a Federal Work-Study job. Working on campus allows you to meet other students, network with teachers and administrators, and may even give you the opportunity to gain career experience. There are even Federal Work-Study jobs in not-for-profit community outreach organizations. Money earned from a Federal Work-Study job will not be counted as income when you complete the next year’s FAFSA. Explore your options and find the job that works best for you.

If you decide that you don’t want to work while you’re in college, let the SCC Financial Aid Office know that you no longer want to participate in the Federal Work-Study program.

Since eligibility for the Federal Work-Study program is limited, and is based on need, you may not qualify to participate in this program. If you are still interested in working on campus, SCC may be able to offer other employment opportunities. Check with the Student Success Center – Career Services Office about non-FWS employment opportunities.  Money earned from a non-work-study job will be counted as income on the next year’s FAFSA.

Additional information regarding Federal Work-Study is available online via the U.S. Department of Education’s “Do You Need Money for College or Career School? Apply for Federal Student Aid” publication, which may be accessed via the Information on College Preparation and the Federal Student Aid Programs section of the Resources page at Federal Student Aid’s You may also visit the Federal Work-Study section at