Dropping Classes / Withdrawal

Enrollment Changes/Withdrawal

Changes in enrollment can have a significant impact on students current and future financial aid eligibility. Tuition and fees may be adjusted when students add, drop or withdraw from classes. Financial Aid may be reduced and in some cases canceled when students withdraw from classes.  Furthermore, dropped or withdrawn classes are included in the calculation determining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).


Unofficial Withdraw

Students who stop attending all classes during a semester and do not go through the Shawnee Community College official withdrawal process, are treated as “unofficially withdrawing” from SCC.  At the end of each semester, SCC identifies all students who did not pass at least one class. The Financial Aid Office works with academic departments and instructors to document each student’s last date of attendance. Using attendance and grade information, students are reviewed under the Return of Funds calculation. The last date of attendance is also reported to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and your enrollment status is updated with the National Clearinghouse.


Reduced Hours of Enrollment

The amount of aid eligibility is dependent on the number of hours in which a student is enrolled and billed. This is typically established on the tenth day of class each semester. If you add classes after the tenth day, your bill may increase. If you withdraw from classes after the tenth day, your bill will not be adjusted unless the student meets the pro-rata refund policy criteria or withdraws from SCC completely.

There are some exceptions to these general rules for students enrolled in courses that only meet for part of the semester (such as eight-week courses) and start after the tenth day of classes.

Federal Pell Grant: You must be enrolled and billed for at least 12 credit hours in a semester to receive the full amount of the awarded Pell Grant. If you are billed for fewer than 12 credit hours, the amount of the Pell Grant award is reduced according to your hours of enrollment.

ISAC MAP Grant: You must be enrolled and billed for at least 15 credit hours in a semester to receive the full amount of the Illinois MAP Grant awarded. The grant will reduce by 1/15 for each credit hour below 15 hours of registration.

Most other grants, scholarships: You must be enrolled and billed for at least 6 credit hours. If you are billed for less than 6 credit hours, many grants and scholarships will be canceled.

If there is a larger reduction of financial aid than reduction in tuition, you will be billed for the difference.